Okay, holy cow. That’s what I have to say about this recipe. I LOVE Twixes. They are one of my favorite candy bars in the whole world. (Of like three, others being Cookies ‘N Cream and Skor bars, yum.) So, I will put Twix (or Twix like) on anything. Yes, yes I will.
So, one of our stores here recently had a big sale on brownie mixes, so I bought a bunch of fudge Betty Crocker up, it’s our favorite. They are literally better than homemade. But, somehow in the mix I got a MILK CHOCOLATE one. Eek! So, I had to figure out what to do with this silly thing. So, I do what I usually do, smother it in caramel and call it a day. Well, kind of.
So, I started off with just a brownie mix, you can totally make your own brownies, that would be amazing, too. But, I had to ditch this mix that I wouldn’t eat plain (yeah, I’m that picky).
My second layer was shortbread cookies, cream cheese, and sugar. I somehow managed to NOT get a photo of this. What the heck was I doing? Probably eating the left over cookies….Don’t judge me.
Third layer is caramel, of course.
Top layer: chocolate. I think I may skip this in the future. My family all loved the chocolate topping; however, I found it to be a nuisance when I was trying to eat it. It broke in odd places and what not.
So, yeah. Amazing. This was super gooey and very rich. I do recommend forks and small pieces. Haha!
Yields One 8×8 pan of brownies. Prep time: 20 minutes. Bake time: 20 minutes. Total time: 40 minutes.
1 package of brownie mix and ingredients call for on package (or make your own)
5oz of shortbread cookies (this is half a box of Lorna Doone’s cookies)
3oz of room temperature cream cheese
¼ cup of white sugar
7oz of caramel cubes (unwrapped)
1 tablespoon of milk (or so)
Chocolate layer (optional):
1 cup of chocolate chips
1-2 tablespoons of shortening (or coconut oil)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and generously spray your pan.
- Mix together brownie ingredients and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Crush your shortbread cookies (in a bag with rolling pin or in a food processor).
- Mix shortbread cookie crumbs with sugar and cream cheese until well combined.
- Press gently onto your brownie layer.
- Place caramel cubes and milk into a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Stir well between each increment.
- Pour evenly over shortbread cookie layer and place in fridge to cool.
- Combine chocolate chips and shortening into a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Stir well between each increment.
- Spread over caramel layer and return to fridge to cool again.
- Cut and enjoy!