Alright, I am from a very Irish family. We love to celebrate any holidays, but ones that are about drinking? Whoo! Haha!
So, I made Irish scones for breakfast, and green tea cupcakes with lemon buttercream! Why green tea? Because it’s green, obviously. And lemon is my favorite thing to put with green tea! Raspberry buttercream would also be delicious!
So, Irish scones…They were amazing. I knew they would be. Because, I used Bailey’s. YUM! You could also use Irish creamer here instead, that would make them kid friendly!
Well, I did not make these kid friendly, but that’s because I made two other types of scones.
Vanilla bean and cinnamon sugar. Don’t mind the purple icing, I didn’t have any clear vanilla!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes. Bake Time: 15 Minutes. Total Time: 35 Minutes. Serves: 8.
4 tablespoons (½ stick) of cold butter
2 cups of flour
3 tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
½ cup of buttermilk (or ½ milk mixed with lemon juice)
¼ cup of Bailey’s Irish Cream (or Irish creamer)
½ cup of powdered sugar
1 tablespoon of Bailey’s Irish Cream (or Irish creamer)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your sheet (I use a pizza pan) with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Add all dry ingredients in a large bowl, and stir.
- Using a pastry cutter (or two knives) work in the cold butter.
- Beat egg, buttermilk, and Bailey’s until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Move dough to a floured surface, or parchment paper, and knead with hands until it comes together into a nice dough, add small amounts of flour at a time if dough is too sticky to work with.
- Pat down until about approximately 6 inches wide and in a circular shape. Cut into 8 wedges and place on prepared sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes and then cool!
- Drizzle with icing when cooled.
Alternately, you could break this dough into two and make 16 smaller scones, that’s what I did here, because I shared my scones with lots of people today!
For my green tea cupcakes I followed Martha Stewart’s recipe HERE, because I trust her with wonderful recipes. You could either follow her buttercream recipe or my lemon buttercream!
½ cup (one stick) of butter, room temperature
2 ½ cups of powdered sugar
Lemon zest from one lemon
Two tablespoons of lemon juice
Yellow food coloring (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with your hand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice.
I made tiny cupcakes, they are perfect for sticking in lunches…And popping straight into your mouth. Haha!