As promised, my missing blog post. This was from the weekend of the 20th, it just never made it to y’all. I don’t know why, it was just a weird week and panty droppers are a personal subject for me. I know, that sounds suuuper strange. I had a best friend a few years back, a really fantastic gay guy. He was a big teddy bear of a man. (BIG MAN) and our drink was always the panty dropper: Kahlua, Sloe Gin, and half & half. In a big glass, not a silly shot. Only one bartender would ever make it for us the way he liked!
So, the week that I made these (it took me a few tries to get everything actually right…) we found out that the city was giving him a new sign on the road where he was killed. They didn’t give us any warning, some of his family just happened to be driving by and they were cutting it down!!! You can imagine the flipped around ASAP and went to see what was going on. They were replacing it with a sturdier sign that was dug deeper into the ground, so it was better equipped for our type of weather. The best part, they let us keep the old sign. We sent it to his mommy down south. ❤
In honor of him, I present the Panty Dropper Cupcake:
I didn’t dress it up or do anything fancy, that just wasn’t his style!
Panty Dropper Cupcakes:
Yields 14(ish) cupcakes. Prep time: 15 minutes Bake time: 15-20 minutes. Total time: 30-35 minutes.
½ cup (1 stick) warm butter
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of flour
½ teaspoon of baking powder
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
½ teaspoon of vanilla
6 tablespoons of Kahlua
1 cup (2 sticks) of warm butter
2 cups of powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons of Sloe Gin
**Sloe Gin does not love being frosting. If you’re having trouble getting it to stay together, try adding a tablespoon or two of melted white chocolate.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line 14(ish) muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with your hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time and mix until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla and cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture, ½ of the Kahlua, 1/3 of flour mixture, and so on, being sure to fully mix between each addition.
- Pour into prepared muffin tin and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting!
Sloe Gin Buttercream:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with your hand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy
- Beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add Sloe Gin in one tablespoon at a time.
- If the buttercream isn’t coming together, add in one or two tablespoons of melted white chocolate.