We have finally completed our month long journey of emptying out 20 years worth of junk from our attic. There was so much stuff up there. Barbies, Littlest Pet Shops, baby clothes, old books, millions of puzzles, a baby crib….I mean, there was no end to the junk. Almost. We’re finally done. Most of the clothes were washed and the important ones stored back away, the right sized ones given to my step-daughter, and the rest will be sold or given away this week!! We have an entire trailer full of garbage that now has to be taken to the dump (I almost think this will be more work…), and then it will be completely complete. Haha! Even the dogs were pooped after the “adventure.”
Tod was so tired he didn’t even move when Isabella backed up into him to keep extra warm. Usually he lets out an annoyed growl and moves to the couch. Not this time!
So, what do the rest of us do when they are tired? Bake cupcakes, apparently. But, they WERE latte cupcakes, so it gave me a bit of boost, plus I drank the extra coffee that was left over from the cupcakes and buttercream!
I bought this for myself for Valentine’d Day. The little spoon is so great for stirring the milk and flavor in your coffee or honey in your tea! I ended up adding some hazelnut flavor to this bad boy, yum!
I spread the frosting on this time around, I was really too exhausted to deal with decorating bags and tips, ha! I sprinkled some cinnamon on top of these bad boys to give them a little something extra.
Cinnamon Dolce Latte Cupcakes:
Yields 12 cupcakes. Prep time: 15 minutes Bake time: 15-20 minutes. Total time: 30-35 minutes.
1 cup (2 sticks) browned butter
½ cup of sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
2 cups of flour
1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of vanilla
¼ cup of milk
¼ cup of brewed coffee, whatever brand!*
½ cup (1 stick) of browned butter
3 cups of powdered sugar
2 teaspoon of vanilla (or 2 vanilla beans)
1 tablespoon of brewed coffee*
2 tablespoons of milk (more or less, depending on the consistency.)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a saucepan, melt your butter over medium heat. Whisk frequently, while scraping the bottom to release any brown bits that form and stick to the bottom. Once the butter is browned (but NOT burnt) and smells slightly nutty, remove it from the heat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with your hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time and mix until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl add the milk and coffee together.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture, ½ of milk mixture, 1/3 of flour mixture, and so on, being sure to fully mix between each addition.
- Pour into prepared muffin tin and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting!
Brown Butter Buttercream:
- In a saucepan, melt your butter and vanilla over medium heat. Whisk frequently, while scraping the bottom to release any brown bits that form and stick to the bottom. Once the butter is browned (but NOT burnt) and smells slightly nutty, remove it from the heat. If using vanilla beans, remove from mixture, scrape out the insides and return them to the butter and whisk.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with your hand mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar together.
- Add the coffee and milk one tablespoon at a time until the correct consistency has formed.
- Frost! Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
*Note: if you intend on sharing with children, consider decaffeinated coffee, it works just as well and still tastes great, plus the added bonus of not having to peel your children off the ceiling later!!