Well, I waited all day to make this post because I was having so much trouble downloading the pictures. I got all signed in and wrote out the title…Then magically the pictures started downloading! So, the good news is we’ll have pictures. That leaves the bad news at, these were kind of weird.
Weird and good. Both of them. The cupcakes were chocolate and coke cupcakes. Easily the best chocolate cupcakes I have ever had. Maybe it was that rich coke flavor? I really don’t know, I may not ever go back!!!
They were so deep colored and so rich! YUM! Here you can see that I actually cored them because I filled them up with a whiskey ganache.
Unfortunately, the weather was messing with my cooking (super randomly humid, raining, I had on my AC and all this weird stuff going on) so, my ganache didn’t actually melt properly, you can see some butter hunks here. I could have fixed it, but I was more in that lazy mood and had a picnic to be at!!
Maybe that’s why my frosting didn’t work out all that well either. The butter fluffed up perfectly, the powdered sugar mixed in and made the perfect buttercream, but the Jack Daniels just didn’t work right. I didn’t add too much, I know I didn’t. And it never separated (which is weird in itself), but it just was runny. So, I kept adding more powdered sugar, then it was super sugary, so I added in some salt. Eventually, I just blamed this on the weather as well. My other issue is I work in such small batches that the buttercream is hard to work with. I literally used 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter for this buttercream. When I make boozy cupcakes I have to eat them all myself, I obviously can’t share them with my step-daughter!!!
You actually start by mixing butter and the coke in a saucepan and simmering it. Then you add in the sugars and cocoa and it makes this rich dark syrupy stuff! You add it to your eggs and make this concoction before adding the flour, salt, and baking soda!
Jack and Coke Cupcakes:
Yields 24 cupcakes. Prep time: 20 minutes Bake time: 20 minutes. Total time: 40 minutes.
½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups of coke (regular, don’t cheat!)
1 cup of cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup of heavy cream
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon Jack Daniels regular whiskey
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature
3 cups of powdered sugar
3 tablespoons of Jack Daniels
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium saucepan combine the coke and butter and simmer over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder, sugar, and brown sugar and whisk until all of the sugars have dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate, large bowl beat the eggs. Mix in the cocoa mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour into prepared muffin tin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting!
- Put chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream until it’s simmering, and then pour over the chocolate chips and let stand for a few seconds to melt the chips. Stir until combined. Add whiskey and butter. Stir.
- Let cool.
- Cut out the centers of your cupcakes (I just use a knife at a slight angle)
- Pipe the ganache into the center hole (or just spoon it in, you’re going to frost over it anyway!!)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with your hand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating slowly.
- Add in the whiskey one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached. If needed, add more powdered sugar.
- Frost! My original intention was to drizzle with the left over ganache to make it super pretty, but since my frosting melted, I just kind of globbed everything on!!