I thought I was never going to get to post today. It’s been a bit crazy at work, but I kind of lost my computer-to-phone cord. So, I ended up having to email these pictures to myself…Nerdy and odd.
But, boy do I love coconut. Can you tell? I also quite love pineapple, and those two together? Just about unbeatable. I’ll have you know I enjoyed some coconut rum and pineapple juice with these Piña Colada cupcakes!
Don’t mind the mess of mail behind that, I’ve been gone for two weeks!!
Well, these were pretty delicious. Chunks of pineapple in the cupcake, flakes of toasted coconut on the frosting, the cherry on top. And, no tropical drink is complete without the drink umbrella! I enjoyed with my best girlfriend.
I’m also getting into the patriotic spirit this week, it’s almost that time!! So, to really kick things off, I did what I always do: nail art!
Simple, but fun!
I do love my dotting tool, makes these sorts of things easy peasy, but also totally compliment worthy.
Also, I picked up these babies on my tripe when I was in Manitou Springs:
Not your typical souvenir, but it’s pretty typical for me, haha! My dogs are looking quite forlorn back there. I had promised to make them some goodies with my left over coconut and pineapple; however they were going to be frozen treats and it’s been nothing but rain. We don’t eat frozen treats in the house, they leave little wet, sticky spots that the dogs lick for days. Ah!
So, on to the cupcakes. Here’s so naked ones:
The pineapple juice gives them a slightly yellow color, but nothing to odd looking, plus the white coconut frosting totally covers them up with sweet goodness.
Piña Colada Cupcakes:
Yields 12 cupcakes. Prep time: 15 minutes Bake time: 19-23 minutes. Total time: 33-37 minutes.
½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
¾ cups of sugar
1 2/3 cups of flour
1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
¼ teaspoon of salt
1 cup of drained crushed pineapple (you must buy the bigger container of pineapple)
¼ teaspoon of coconut extract
1/3 cup of canned coconut milk (or coconut water)
1/3 cup of pineapple juice (from your crushed pineapple can)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons of coconut milk (or water, or cream of coconut!)
¾ teaspoon of coconut extract
3 ½ cups of powdered sugar
Shredded coconut and maraschino cherries or pineapple wedges!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with your hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir to combine.
- In another bowl add coconut milk (or water), pineapple juice, and coconut extract and stir to combine.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture to butter mixture, then ½ of juice mixture, 1/3 of flour mixture, and so on until all combined. Stirring until nearly combined each time.
- Fold in the crushed pineapple, but do not over mix!
- Pour into prepared muffin tin (they are thick!) and bake in the oven for 19-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting!
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with your hand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in coconut milk (or whatever you’re using) and coconut extract.
- Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating slowly.
- Add in the tequila and lime juice (or margarita mix). Be sure that these are room temperature, or your buttercream may become upset!
- Frost! I added a maraschino cherry and shredded coconut to each cupcake. Plus little drink umbrellas for decoration!